Please select the country or location you would like to see content from.
country picker icon
condition icon


Allergic rhinitis

Written by Caidr's team of doctors and pharmacists based in UK | Updated: 26.01.2023 | 2 min read

Allergic rhinitis, also known as hay fever, is an allergy to pollen. Typically, grass or tree pollen are the culprits. They cause itchy eyes, nose and throat plus sneezing, a runny nose and watery eyes. These symptoms occur in what’s known as hay fever season, which is typically from the end of March to July, but varies depending on where you are in the country and whether your allergy is to grass pollen or tree pollen.

Allergic rhinitis is very common with around 1 in 5 people in the UK suffering with it at some point in their life, however, it most commonly starts as a child or teenager. It can run in families and you are more likely to have allergic rhinitis if you also suffer from asthma or eczema. Allergic rhinitis is not contagious.

How do I know what pollen I am allergic to?

Sometimes people can be quite specific about what causes their symptoms, such as rapeseed or common grass. Generally speaking, tree pollen tends to cause symptoms earlier in the spring, such as March to May, and grass pollen tends to be later in the summer, during June and July.

Caidr pharmacists' top tips

People suffering from allergic rhinitis and allergies may suffer from the full spectrum of symptoms associated with this, or just one symptom. In most cases, it's best to take a stepwise approach.

Taking an antihistamine tablet will often be enough to bring down most of the symptoms such as sneezing, drying up a runny streaming nose and watery eyes. Any remaining symptoms such as sinus congestion, or red itchy eyes can be resolved by add-on treatments such as a nasal spray or eye drops.

There may be a few restrictions on pharmacy products if you are pregnant or you wear contact lenses. It's important that those who are pregnant try drug-free treatments first such as sea salt-based nasal spray instead of a steroid-based nasal spray, and speak to your pharmacist or doctor before taking antihistamine tablets.

Additionally, not all eye drops are suitable for those wearing contact lenses, so it's important to check the product information carefully when deciding what to use.

If in any doubt, speak to your pharmacist.

When should I see my doctor?

You should book a routine doctor appointment if you have used over-the-counter medications from the pharmacy for two weeks and had no improvement or if your symptoms are getting worse.

The doctor will ask you about your medical history and current symptoms. They may examine your eyes and listen to your chest, depending on your symptoms. Your doctor can prescribe different medications not available in the pharmacy or in some severe cases refer you for specialist input.

Am I fit for work?

You are fit for work if you have allergic rhinitis.

Was this helpful?

Was this helpful?

Newsletter icon
Subscribe to our Newsletter
to get monthly notified about our latest health and wellness topics.
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the Caidr Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of the newsletter subscription at any time.